Photo

[ARTICLE] SNSD in report from Japan newspaperYomiuri Shimbun discusses the sudden influx of Korean girl groups

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic
checarlos87 checarlos87
  • Donors
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Hello there, SONEs. I read a report from Yomiuri Shimbun (a national newspaper in Japan) discussing the sudden influx of Korean girl groups to Japan, including SNSD. While the news is not entirely SNSD-centric, I believe it is useful for us fans to get an idea of the general expected reception for SNSD in Japan, and thought I could post it here to share with fellow SONEs. The original date is 2010/08/20, but I translated it today (2010/08/23, my local time). If this is not the right forum for this, or if the mods believe it is not too SNSD-focused, please go ahead and move or close this topic. Here is the translated news, enjoy: :turned:

Hallyu Girl Group Chaos
Four arrivals in less than six months
by: Tanaka Makoto

Korea's girl groups will be arriving one by one at Japan this summer. In commemoration of their debut, droves of fans have been crowding with a quickly rising feverish fervor. The hallyu idols seem to be counting on their charms to lead the way in creating a commotion of hype for their arrival.

On August 11, the charismatic and instantly famous, 5-girl group KARA debuted with their single Mister. Video uploading sites quickly began flooding with their back-bending “Hip Dance”. The same day, KARA gave a surprise live performance in front of the Shibuya 109 building in commemoration of their debut. Despite no prior announcement of such performance, the event was reported by the organizers to have attracted around 3000 people.

The Korean music groups that have led the way in breaking into Japan in the past include DBSK, Big Bang, and such boy bands. However starting this year, it seems the spread of the Korean boom has taken on the shape of girl groups.

Leading the way is the 5-girl group 4minute who debuted last May. Combining rap with hip-hop flavors, 4minute already announced last month the release of their second single.

Following in KARA's footsteps, is the 9-girl group Girl's Generation who on August 11th released a DVD compilation of their music videos. Featuring costumes that heavily emphasize their long and slender legs, Girl's Generation is very proud of the immense success they enjoy in their homeland. On the 25th, they plan to hold an event at the Tokyo Ariake Coliseum for some 10000 people.

On the same 25th, using their “sexy dance”˟ to spread their more adult-oriented sex appeal, the 4-girl group Brown Eyed Girls will also debut. This brings the total number of girl groups to debut in Japan in less than six-months to four.

The personality of the groups differ in slight ways, but their in-fashion electronic tracks, their perfectly coordinated dance routines, and their sexy costumes (along with other such weapons) is something they all have in common.

˟
The actual term used is「小生意気ダンス」which literally means “cheeky/impudent dance”. The「」surrounding the term suggests the term is a fixed one used by Brown Eyed fans. I used “sexy dance” since I am unfamiliar with the Brown Eyed fandom.

Here is the source. Please note that I translated everything above the bold text that reads "「かわいさ」より「かっこいい」" since a quick search for "少女時代" shows that they are no longer mentioned from that point on.
Posted Image

doe doe
  • Donors
  • 1809 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for taking the time to translate such a long article!

I think this is more appropriate for the Translated Goodies section so I'll be moving it there :)

b9DS6.png

© a: glasstained@lj; s: danhobak

checarlos87 checarlos87
  • Donors
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for taking the time to translate such a long article!

I think this is more appropriate for the Translated Goodies section so I'll be moving it there :)

Thank you very much. I thought it was better suited there, but since I had no posting privileges, I chose to place it in "So Nyuh Discussions". I feel humbled to have this added to the Translated Goodies board... ^^ Thank you so much.
Posted Image

yeeeeesssp yeeeeesssp
  • Donors
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for sharing this article!~

It's very much appreciated^^

Looking forward to their Japan comeback keke :D

Posted Image

Cr; as tagged.
Check out my robo.to

오이사랑싴 오이사랑싴
  • SoShi Subbers
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

do u mind either scanning or taking a pic of the newspaper?
thanks for the translation!
it's so awesome to hear that our girls landing in japan's getting huge recognition in japan.
hopefully, they will be as successful as dbsk(actually, half the success that they had will be awesome!)
Posted Image
Warning: my siggy pic might distract you from reading my translation

"If you don't act without thinking, I think the life just goes on like water leaking." - Seohyun

My twitter: http://twitter.com/cucluvsic

min.is.love min.is.love
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

wow long article!!
hehehe thanks so much for the translation !
looking forward to the girls japan debut! it will be epic !

All My Love Is For You... Girls' Generation

checarlos87 checarlos87
  • Donors
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

do u mind either scanning or taking a pic of the newspaper?

The problem I have is that I translated it from the online version of Yomiuri, so I don't have a physical copy. Sorry... :(
Posted Image

x_c x_c
  • Donors
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

wow this is awesome.

now they're in japan. and what next?

they are the best girl group in the world yo... hahaha...

thanks for sharing btw... ^^

siggy.jpg
Forever 소녀시대
>>>My Artwork Thread<<<

YaMMi YaMMi
  • Donors
  • 1524 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

Out of all the S M artists, I think So Nyuh Shi Dae is a group that's

ready to debut there. Their popularity is explosive already and

their songs is well liked internationally. I hope they have a chance to

rest before they debut

txtT0.png

HyoYeonORhxD.gif

illuminati24 illuminati24
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for translating the article
I think it's like a trend, in which all group management don't want to lose the opportunity
and to stay behind the others...
But I expect SNSD debut in Japan will be the most spectacular one.. :thumbup:
Posted Image

Lingoo Lingoo
  • Donors
  • 1334 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

Hmm thank you very much for this article, kind of gives me an idea of what its like to currently be in Japan with influx of Korean girl groups
Looks like there'll be plenty of friendly competition amongst all 4 of them, it felt as if the Japan market is like moving from one girl group to the next haha
And I'm yet to see an article from Japan that doesn't include "Long slender" legs or some variation of the sort xD
Thanks again!
Musings...Collections Sanctuary

Jessica 4ever!!! Jessica 4ever!!!
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

boy groups took over the japanese market 2 years ago, and 2 years ltr the girl groups are in control!! im a boy, but a sone too so i support SNSD!!! :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

credit: sayhellotothestars@soshified, TammyTheSunny@soshified,FrozenYentaf@soshified

tybv tybv
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

Thank you so much for translating ^^
its good that Korean groups are trying to succeed I Japan
I hope snsd does well :)

kosiyem kosiyem
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

thx for translating the article..

SNSD will be so famous in Japan at their debut..

they have so many fans there..

SNSD fighting!!!

love taeeng and maknae so much!!!!

happyires happyires
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

hey thank you for translating love it when the girls come out on the newspapers in japan hehe hope lots of people show em love

9 girls 1 dream

Posted Image

timo3 timo3
  • Rookies
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

Thank you sir for sharing this post. Thanks also for your effort translating the entry. it is very much appreciated!

vinsica22 vinsica22
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

Girls generation has been magnificent since there debut and until now they show no signs of slowing down.. it has been a big blast that snsd has took its spot light... now the world will see that aside from the past girl groups in this world like spice girls, destiny's child, all saint, *****cat dolls, this kind of girl group that we admire for so long has started with the U.S. now its time to let the world now that we have a girl group that can with stand every one, and its not just being they are Korean, but ss a Asian, i'm proud to say that SNSD is one of the best and the world will know them go snsd (like the Wonder girls there friend and rival group)

ImZerO ImZerO
  • Donors
  • 2238 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

thanks for translating the article.. really appreciated it.
can't wait for their debut in japan..
their gonna do well in japan..

SNSD hwaiting!

xiswen xiswen
  • Donors
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

thanx for translating..

instead of saying 4 groups in 6 months period they should say 3 groups in a month period.. it will be much more epic

I like the way SNSD being recognized in japan as girls group with the long, slender legs..
this show their uniqueness in a proper way..
Spoiler

InfiniteLoss InfiniteLoss
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1858 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

Us Sones are very proud of the girls success as well <3 haha
I like how they called KARA's dance the hip dance =P rather than
what all of us call it =P. Can't believe so many of our
idols are headin' over to japan at the same time...rawr, they
need to return to the korean variety scene asapppp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Sbox

@  alice_ot12 (10:04:11 AM) what happened?
@  Keitaro88 (04:20:34 PM) hi :)
@  datlmhg (05:16:24 AM) good night