Photo

[INTERVIEW] Naver Special Interviewdescriptions of back then trainee days...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic
StaRTaeYeon StaRTaeYeon
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:55 AM

This was one of the interviews of SNSD I liked to read a whole lot...It'll give people more of an idea of the hard SM Trainee life...It's old, but I wanted to share it in the SoShified forums. Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For 7 years we trained together"
"It really feels like for 5 years we trained more than 10 hours a day"
"It seems like we failed about 100 auditions"

This is a story that we can hear from singers who debuted at a young age.
For 3 years in their teens, 5 years if longer. There were many things that they wanted to do most, and it's the age where they would also like to meet many people.

As big as their dreams are, in order to go beyond, most trainees must give up at least half of their life in their teens.
They have a bigger responsibility knowing that they are carrying the weight of many people's efforts on their backs.
--
'SoNyuhShiDae' endured this same path. Let's hear from their own words what life is like when one is a trainee.

The brutal and sweet interior of the showcase: Seohyun
Prior to the debut, the preparation of the showcase on September of last year was the hardest.
Its an event where the staff first sees and "rates" you. You're split into teams of 3/4 people, and put through a experimental stage.
It's extremely nervewracking because it is the moment when you can either be chosen to debut or be dropped.
Since 3 years ago, we went through this showcase with the CSJH and Super Junior members, and slowly they came to debut.
We were able to realize that we also had the potential to make it, after seeing CSJH and Super Junior, who we had trained with, become stars.
The first time I wore high heels was during the preparation of the showcase; and furthermore, we had to dance in them as well, so we put tape on the bottoms and practiced. Our feet were covered in blisters.

Being neat and proper at school, even when things are tough: Sooyoung
Since my home is in Gyeonggido Kwangju, I had to wake up at 6am to go to school and leave early at 12pm to come to practice.
The only thing we did was practice until 3am, with the exception of eating lunch. There were many times when I saw the sunrise before going home.
Sometimes we even brought sleeping bags to the training room and slept there. Still, I tried very hard not to fall asleep in school.
We were already getting sharp looks from people because we were training to be celebrities, if I feel asleep the glares would have been much worse, right?
We tried even harder to follow all the regulations and standards. We wore the uniform neatly, and did our hair according to the rules.

Our role models are SES: Yoona
As the majority, my role model was SES as well. The debut of SES was about 10 years before,
when I was entering elementary school. It seemed so nice seeing them singing and dancing on TV.
I would always think, "I really want to become like those unnis." From then on, whenever there was an event where one could showcase their talents, I would go and perform the SES dances.
Thats how I came to have the dream of becoming a celebrity, and in 6th grade of elementary school, I auditioned and began my trainee life.
A little while ago I was on a set with Bada sunbae, and I told her the story that SES was my favorite and that they were my idols.
But she didn't believe me, she said that I just said it because we met on the set ã… .ã… 

Learning 3 languages, and doing mock broadcasts: Sunny
We were taught Japanese, English, and Chinese. Especially Chinese, we all learned it for about 2 years, so we can speak everyday/conversational Chinese fairly well.
In certain cases like Hyoyeon, she went to China for a year to study the language.
We/She(?) studied with Super Junior's Shiwon sunbaeneem as well. Although learning the language is important, experiencing the culture was good as well.
We learn ballet as well, to learn posture and pose. Because we're girls our "line" needs to be pretty. We also practiced broadcasting/shows.
We really practice as if it is a real live broadcast. Within us trainees, we MC, choose guests, and have talks;
we even imitated variety shows, and it was really fun ã…‹ã…‹

Breathing exercises to make abs: Jessica
Learning perfect pitch was hard. When the teacher pressed a key on the keyboard, we had to match the scales,
and when they played a melody, we had to draw it out on the music sheet. We had to match the rhythm as well. Breathing exercises were a given.
Before we recieved vocal lessons, we had to recieve breathing lessons. You had to pass the breathing class to enter the vocal class.
But we really worked so hard to make our upper body fit/form. Even releasing deep breaths were a test.
You passed if you could continuously breathe out for 30 seconds at a time. There were others who could even do 60 seconds.

Things that a trainee must leave: Yuri
I started training since 6 years ago.
When I was young, my friend saw an article on some "best selection" contest and asked me to go with her... (laughs)
So I followed my friend and thats where I was casted.
Since my home is far away in Ilsan, I regret not having more time to hang out with my friends.
I want to do everything well, and I have many desires, but it was also hard not being able to study. Since I had to both train and go to school side by side, it was very tough.

Family, and trainers/teachers who are like family: Tiffany
Since my family is in America, I felt a lot of loneliness, and at first it was hard to even carry on a conversation in Korean.
There were many times when I felt solitude and I had to suffer slumps, but I think I was able to win it out happily in the end because my parents were constantly encouraging me.
Also whenever I was feeling down, my trainers/teachers would take care of me and buy me yummy food to lift my spirits, so they gave me lots of strength.
I always tried hard to control my mind/heart.
When my mind/heart would fall apart, it was because I felt like I wouldn't be able to win over my period of training.

The most brutual training is training your own instincts: Hyoyeon
The time when I was punished most was not when I didn't practice, but when I acted rudely. Training my natural instincts was the hardest.
When I first came, after taking my profile picture I remember getting in a lot of trouble for not politely saying "Thank you for your trouble" to the staff.
It was something I didn't know... even now when I feel a sunbae that doesn't take greetings well, I hesitate.
Still, we're learning that whatever you do, you should do it greatly. Holding your facial expression is really hard.
When we're struggling mentally, we learned that we shouldn't show it on our faces because we're not the only ones enduring the hardships.
Also, we were corrected if our eyes or expressions weren't proper.

1 minute late means 1 hour broadcasting: Taeyeon
In 2004 I recieved the SM Best Singer Grand Prize which led me to become a trainee.
Out of the members I'm the only one that's from Jeonrado Jeonju, so because I'm a person from a [far] district/region, I can say there was a bit of sadness? (laughs)
I was lectured a lot on getting places on time.
If I was 1 minute late to the planned practice time, I had to stand in front of the training room as a punishment.
The teacher emphasized that, "1 minute is 1 hour in broadcasting."
For us, because we have to center our activities around broadcasting, it was a good moral to learn.

Credits: Girls Era + Aspirent`@AMBN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by StaRTaeYeon, 16 April 2008 - 06:10 PM.

*Never will I let anyone else take my dreamS away from me...My promise to chase it *
~Han SuMi~
Posted Image
Thanks to Alexis for banner & kim.sooji from SoshiHoney forums for avi!

Currently writing:
The Story of A Young Girl With A Strong-Willed Dream

Twilight54 Twilight54
  • Donors
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:31 AM

this was very nice.
its always good 2 learn more bout the girls n see that they r human n have problems 2!!

very enlightening! thx 4 translating!!!

Posted Image

StaRTaeYeon StaRTaeYeon
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

this was very nice.
its always good 2 learn more bout the girls n see that they r human n have problems 2!!

very enlightening! thx 4 translating!!!

Lol, I didn't translate it XD ^^; It was people of the AMBN staff^^
*Never will I let anyone else take my dreamS away from me...My promise to chase it *
~Han SuMi~
Posted Image

Currently writing:

aZnNeRd aZnNeRd
  • Donors
  • 1185 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

oh the AMBN staff translated? well tell them thxs =]
it's sad to know that they went through so much at a young age but it is also admirable that they kept on pushing themselves until they the finally debuted

SOSHI FOREVER

XMENStorm.jpg

SkyxCloud789 SkyxCloud789
  • Donors
  • 723 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

Good read ^.^ haha I like getting to know them better...Thank you for the translations!

boomie boomie
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:13 AM

LOL that was interesting to read..
poor soo young though...everyone was so hard working >.<

motoko motoko
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:40 AM

It's really wonderful reading such stories. Not only do we get to know the girls more, we also get to appreciate all their hardships, sacrifices and joys. They had it tough; I worried about superficial things when I was at that age when they were still trainees if my life is to be compared to them. It makes me respect and love them even more. I trully hope and pray that they become successful longer than the years they spent as trainees. I don't care if SoNyuShiDae becomes AjummaShidae or if Tiffany was not able to do anything to stop her members from getting married and thus had turned them into ajumma's (:lol:). If possible I want them to succeed for the rest of their lives in whatever road they head to. Each one of them. All of them.

Thanks StaRTaeYeon.^^

Posted Image

On Hiautus? Computer broke down.Lots of Soshigoodies gone. No daily internet access. In short, busted. (x_x)

repliforce repliforce
  • Donors
  • 1528 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:40 AM

very nice read indeed. 5 years of training.....that's like my whole highschool year. imagine i missed that.

...well, u have to sacrifice a lot in order to get back a lot.

bubble_tea bubble_tea
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for sharing =] Oh I haven't read
this in Ambition before =o Hehe, but it was
very interesting!! It must've been very hard
for the girls. And I know they still are very
tired and stressed. I hope they don't overwork
cause they'll soon collapse! We love you SNSD!!

Posted Image

Ch1k0 Ch1k0
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for sharing! =) Old is good (= Man..Tough life...I'm thankful I prefer combat to showbiz XD

ptoor ptoor
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

Really makes you think if us regular folks can endure the same thing these girls have gone through.

keroro keroro
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

antis must read this
and get ready for conversion.
lol ^^

rembflower rembflower
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:46 AM

Ahhh they worked very hard~ ^^; But it's good that they got to debut and we know them now right? ^^
Hmmm, I wonder how their Japanese & English are (except for Tiffany and Jessica of course X3).

byzantine1010 byzantine1010
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2123 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

it must be really tough to balance out school and the practices.
i have the same problem -__-

Go Girls!<3

Edited by byzantine1010, 05 March 2008 - 04:08 PM.

"I let my racket do the talking. That's what I am all about, really. I just go out and win tennis matches."
-Pete Sampras

Never discuss love with a tennis player, it means nothing to them

--dreamx --dreamx
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:08 AM

this reminds me of the phrase stars aren't born overnight..
its nice to know all the tough training and sacrifices they had to go through to become who they are today..
SNSD all the way!

StaRTaeYeon StaRTaeYeon
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

I wish a lot that I'll be able to be strong like our SoShi unni-sunbaes^^*sigh*It's such a mental struggle while being a trainee; especially if you're in your young age...Such as the preteen stage. You would think like your parents and family would NOT allow you to go to your dream like many of the Asian singers did. We try to imagine how painful it is in the trainee phase, but we probably won't be able to feel the exact emotional pain and struggles like Soshi and the many other successful Asian artists did...

Edited by StaRTaeYeon, 16 April 2008 - 06:13 PM.

~Han SuMi~
Posted Image

Currently writing:

luvshe luvshe
  • Donors
  • 1550 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

this is great...
reading this makes me getting know them more...
thanks for sharing.. :D

Posted Image

I AM TRULY SOSHIFIED and I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF NINE

uhocheerio uhocheerio
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for translating and posting it. This made me become an even more big fan of Soshi.I never knew being a trainee can be so hard >.< If I was a trainee I would definity get kick out of there on the first week =P . Training at a young age can be quite difficult, because you have to practice and handle school,your friends and family.They worked very hard to become singers. All of things they learned during their trainee days really helped them now. I think I can't do all of the things they done. They haven't gotten where they are today without their hard work and I'm thankful for all their hard work and effort they put into it. I am going to appeciate everything they do, because now I know that they trained and worked hard for everything they do.

lettypuff lettypuff
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

wow, after reading this I got senses of how SM trains their trainees a bit and CSJH might actually train with SNSD before.

MmmKimchi MmmKimchi
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for sharing this ^^

The girls worked sooo hard...... they really wanted to reach their dreams......

<3<3<3<3<3 SNSD!!!
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Sbox

@  cinderella@y... (09:14:06 PM) company war lol
@  cinderella@y... (09:12:13 PM) what going on in Korea? nowdays
@  Keitaro88 (04:12:17 PM) goood lol
@  Keitaro88 (04:12:11 PM) Pannchoa website appears to be taken down
@  Keitaro88 (03:55:18 PM) nothing
@  alice_ot12 (10:04:11 AM) what happened?