[ARTICLE] SNSD's Taeyeon: Fantasy of Guys, Target of Girls' Scoldings10.23.09

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
265 replies to this topic
Seannn Seannn
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

This is an article/blog post. Found this on the front cover of daum.net, so I went ahead and translated this.

********************************************************************************

Taeyeon, the leader of SNSD, has the most male fans out of all nine members. It is quite an unexpected phenomenon, given that some members like Yoona would always stand in the center, be casted as main characters of dramas, and were basically well-known for her beautiful looks, and Taeyeon was just singing away.

What that means is that there has got to be something special about Taeyeon that satisfies the curiosities of guys. What's even more intriguing is that most females besides SNSD fans do not find Taeyeon to be too attractive or charming at all. Of course, they will probably admit that she is a little cute, but they cannot seem to find what there is to Taeyeon for guys to "go crazy" over her.

In fact, some of them may say, "how is she that popular?" And if they are an anti-fan, they may even go as far as to point out several incidents where Taeyeon misspoke or made a mistake to call her "disgusting."

Of course, not all guys like Taeyeon, nor do all girls dislike her, but there is a clear correlation between gender and attraction to Taeyeon. So how does Taeyeon maintain a fanatic support from the males yet confound so many females?

Picture wouldn't show up, so here's the link

Quite frankly, Taeyeon is not necessarily the "prettiest" member of SNSD, let alone of the whole Korean Entertainment Industry. Of course, the standards of beauty are not objective at all, but if asked to pick the physically most attractive member of SNSD, most people will most likely name other members besides Taeyeon.

As many males use the phrase, "if she's pretty, she's nice," most of them pay a lot of attention to looks. Therefore, it makes sense that girls are confused about how guys rave about Taeyeon, a short and a cute, but not necessarily pretty, member, over other members widely accepted as the prettiest.

Nevertheless, not all males like "super pretty" girls like Kim Taehee, Han Ga-in, or Song Haegyo. To be more specific, guys like those girls but find them to be "way out of their league" or feel almost uncomfortable. It is great appreciating their beauty on television or to choose them as a guy's ideal type, but like the words "ideal type" suggest, not too many men dream about dating them.

Taeyeon is different, however. She seems like a typical, yet cute and attractive, Korean girl one may find around him/her could be found around him/her. In other words, she seems like a girl that has the looks to make her a realistic possibility as a girlfriend, but that doesn't mean she is not pretty. She's not super pretty or the prettiest, but she's as pretty as how much prettiness guys realistically wish for in a girlfriend.

Picture wouldn't show up, so here's a link for it

What is more important, though, is in her actions. Males clearly like girls' "aegyo" a lot. If there were anything Taeyeon knows how to assert herself in, it would be in aegyo. Guys may feel uncomfortable or may even avoid forced and/or too much aegyo, but Taeyeon's aegyo is a bit dorky and genuine, and on top of that there is the added bonus of her cute looks. Whether Taeyeon is actually genuinely dorky or not is irrelevant. Just from her looks and actions, guys construe an image of her as a "cute girlfriend with a great personality." If there was a girl like Taeyeon around, most guys will definitely be attracted to her image of having great personality and try to "hit on her."

In most cases, guys assume that if a girl shows aegyo to him then it is a sign that she is interested him. For example, girls that send mixed messages to and/or flirt with guys may not be too popular among girls but may be popular among guys because they will probably find her to be seductive.

It would be big stretch to say Taeyeon sends mixed messages to and flirts with guys, but still, there is no way a guy would dislike his "ideal girlfriend" figure showing aegyo. Nonetheless, women may interpret it as "a not-too-particularly-pretty girl trying to act cute."

Thus, it is highly likely that women see Taeyeon as an "weird celebrity is not pretty and just acts cute but is still popular," whereas men see her as a "celebrity that's ideally cute and pretty and has great personality to top it all off." This is the disparity between the perspectives of the sexes.

As mentioned before, this is not to say all males feel a certain way towards Taeyeon, nor do all women feel another way towards her. Each individual will have a different opinion of Taeyeon, but it is true that there are many guys that feel all happy and giddy from watching and/or hearing her, and it is also true that there are many women who cannot understand what's the big deal about Taeyeon. That is not necessarily saying there is a right or wrong answer. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and we just need to respect each other's opinion.

Nevertheless, since it is clear that Taeyeon was able to use her image to become the most popular SNSD member, it is indisputable that her image is quite practical and an important asset to her.

credits to:한밤의 연예가 섹션@ Daum View
LINK

Haven't translated on ssf in a while, and that was nice :)
I suppose you guys can talk amongst yourselves about what you think.

이세상 속에서 반복되는 슬픔 이젠 안녕

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Taeyeon and Jessica banner credits to dragonchan and Yoona one to ajae2600

taeny1990 taeny1990
  • Rookies
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

i think tae has pretty much fangirls o.o
I?m a girl too and for me taengoo is the cutest,prettiest girl ever :heartbeat:
even many anti-snsd fans seem to like her
taengoo fighting :clapping:
Posted Image TaeNy Posted Image TaengSic Posted Image TaeRi

branespload branespload
  • Rookies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:08 AM

Taengoo is my favorite for pretty much the exact reasons listed above o___O. Good read and thanks for the translation!

lalala~ lalala~
  • Donors
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

LOL i feel like reading a research paper on Taeyeon :P

but its true..Taeyeon is dorkily cute and she doesn't even have to try :)

she's my top 3 and she's the cutest leader ever!!

Thanks for translating :)
SoShi FIGHTING! :)

yoowon yoowon
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

well, taeng might not be as pretty as much as some of the girls, but at least she is unique and she attracts people with her character..
even looking at her in the tv, she makes me feel comfortable because of her dorkiness..

usagi713 usagi713
  • Donors
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

taeyeon can easily attract girls/boys because she's pretty and has a great personality. many people could relate to her. who wouldn't want to fall in love with taeyeon.

jzkiddin jzkiddin
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:20 AM

wow nicely written piece..thats pretty much why i like taengoo so much i guess lol..not to mention her great singing :wub:
anyways thanks a lot for translating this! :)

krnthndr krnthndr
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

Taeyeon is pretty, hot, beautiful, all the above

I am attracted to her because of her natural leadership, dorkiness, and the ability to say/do things perfectly in any given situation to make things more comfortable.

yes she is my ideal woman

shing shing
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

lol i think we can probably list out 1 zillion reasons on why we love taeng. i can understand why the women mentioned in the article have that thought.

anyway thanks for translating!
we love taeng! <3 :D

cicungcimong cicungcimong
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

well to me .. taeyeon actually my favorite member even if i'm a girl ..
well i think out of snsd member actually she's the nicest and i love her voice !! well.. i think why all men like her because she is not the cold one or the shy one .. she's pretty comfortable around many people and that what it called 'easygoing'.. and she is natural cute and dorky not the fake one also sometimes 's she also mature and i find out that she is charismatic and pretty !

Edited by cicungcimong, 23 October 2009 - 10:28 AM.

Posted Image

MichTaeng MichTaeng
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

Nahhh, i don't bother what others says about Taengoo.
as long as I love her, that will be enough.
haha, whoever cares about anti fans.
anti fans are pple who notice Taengoo before & are jealous of her.
so, we should not bother them & love Taengoo more ! kekeke.
Taengoo is my one & only dorky kid leader ! :D
♥Right Now, It's Girls' Generation, Girls' Generation forever♥

munkified munkified
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

Lol whether it is Taengoo or the rest of the girls.. They all have their own unique charm... And they are all equally dorky.. I guess the reason they are so huge it's coz the image they portray is not of some super idols who are not approachable.. But more of people whom you can actually be friends with (well at least that's how it feels like although not literally.. unfortunately)... That's probably why we SONES somehow feel a sort of "connection" to them in a way?

But i do agree that Taengoo does seems like the perfect gf material.. Lol.. All 9 of them seems to be perfect gf material but since we're on the subject of our kko kko ma leader... I mean look her... How can anyone not fall for her charm... *멍*

Thanks for the translation!!! Nice article~ :sq_silver_surprise:

SNSD Rocks My Socks And I'm Absolutely Lovin' It

ghizuu ghizuu
  • Donors
  • 2060 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

Wow thanks for the translations! That was like a well written Essay ^_^
Yeah I can agree with this entry. Many of my friends and I at a certain time wondered why all these guy were gushing and falling in love with her. But I gave it some time and I realized why many people like/ are in love with her. It's so true that she has her own unique charm which draws many people in somehow. Thanks again that was such an interesting read! Taeyeon jjang!!!
Kr: August 9 - 26 2009 L.A: September 3-5 2010<3 Kr: July 19- August 9 2011<3 NYC: October 21-25 2011<3 February 2<3
We're Nothing Without 9

SY24 SY24
  • Donors
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

Lol interesting article here! Thanks for translating! I think it is true that when you think about the prettiest member, people will tend to think of the other girls. I think people do see taeyeon as a person who you can actually hang out with cause of her personality and her looks aren't overwhelming. It's like she could totally be your friend. I think that's the charm of her that makes a lot of people like her. I think people who don't like her will say that she's not that pretty and is just an okay singer but if they got to see her personality and how she interacts with other people, I think they'll like her. She has a personality that is so likable because she doesn't force herself to be a certain way. She just acts the way she is! That's why she's my favorite member =)

Posted Image

star18 star18
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

first of all, thans for the translation!
I have got to agree, this is one of the most weLl-written articles i've read..

I agree so much about the 'realistic beauty' and i guess that's why taeng is special. on top of that she has the voice, the personality and dorky behaviour that is real and lovable.

taeyeon stood out, not because of her looks, but there's just so much about her that is endearing to the people around her.. :D

Posted Image

[c]snsdsarang @ssf artwork.

thank God, i'm a SONE.
Posted Image
[c]dragonchan @ssf artwork.

GO!Lux GO!Lux
  • Donors
  • 1002 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised by the fact that Taeyeon is the most popular member in SNSD, I really thought Yoona was a step forward her; however, the fact's not a big deal to me, since I love all the nine girls the same way (:
I'm a fangirl and I'm definitely one of the little group - as the article say, but I don't really think most of the girls don't like/hate her that much - described at the end of this: I think she's a great leader, a great singer and has a great personality that I personally love and to be honest I feel kind of a little bad for her, thinking that they say many girls don't like her, lol xD However, as mentioned in the article, it would not be right if we generalized about it, cause it's normal and fair that everyone has his/her own opinion: I think there are many reasons to like her for the girls as well as for the guys, like the few ones I mentioned before, and the same thing goes for the other eight SNSD girls (;

Posted Image_Posted Image_Posted Image

sarah_117 sarah_117
  • Donors
  • 531 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

firstly, thanx for the translation.. :)

Thus, it is highly likely that women see Taeyeon as an "weird celebrity is not pretty and just acts cute but is still popular,"

well, i'm absolutely not in this group of women! lol! :lol:
i'm a girl too, but Taeyeon is my no1 favourite member.. for me, she's the prettiest in SNSD! :D
well, different people see different things. whatever others say, i still love her and yes, she has a great personality!! ^_^

CharChar CharChar
  • Donors
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the translations. I don't think the article was good. Looks ARE objective, it's not like everyone has the same scale on attractiveness. Plus, besides Ga-In, I don't think the other 2 "super pretty" examples were that pretty at all. It got some parts right, but the others parts just seem like gibberish.

PolarWind PolarWind
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

I thought this was a good article, brought up a lot of good points, about attractiveness and obtainability. I'd say that happens a lot more in life than people realize. I know a lot of very beautiful girls who remain single and wonder why, I tell them that guys are intimidated by their looks and feel they don't have a chance. While girls who seem more down to earth are not having that same problem.

Again very good article!

Posted Image

Sooyoung'loves Sooyoung'loves
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1961 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:21 AM

Lol. Thanks for the translation.
This post is quite interesting.
I am a girl, but i find taeyeon very cute and pretty too!
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Sbox

@  cinderella@y... (01:34:00 AM) what is that bot doing zzz
@  cinderella@y... (04:52:29 PM) bot zzzzz
@  Keitaro88 (04:44:35 PM) bots*
@  Keitaro88 (04:44:31 PM) bot r crazy
@  Keitaro88 (04:44:26 PM) yeah
@  alice_ot12 (04:00:43 PM) i hate the ad spam
@  Keitaro88 (11:09:19 AM) >_> https://pbs.twimg.co...jpg&name=medium
@  kidrobot (09:44:59 PM) reeses eggs