Photo

[ARTICLE] SNSD in a Finnish magazineaugust 2009

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
109 replies to this topic
HyoRiSun HyoRiSun
  • Donors
  • 1474 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:43 AM

This article is from a Finnish magazine called JapanPop, it's from August 2009. The magazine focuses on Japanese music and pop culture, but it sometimes features articles on other Asian pop phenomena.

The article has a few mistakes in it and I don't think the writer really knows SNSD.

The parts I found not that relevant are in a smaller font. :rolleyes:

EDIT: This is the performance of GG with Lee Seung Chul that is mentioned in the article.
Some people were looking for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuHOslRf0c

While you read this please keep in mind that

• Finnish humor is a bit difficult for others to understand so some parts might seem weird to you. The writer is however saying only positive things about SNSD
  • In Finland the word Otaku is used to describe anyone who's into Japanese pop culture.

Here's the original article
Posted Image

SNSD - Korea strikes back
[/size]It has happened before: after copying Japan for some time, comes the day when Korea beats Japan in their own game. It has already happened with video games. But pop idols, that are so very Japanese? No one can outdo Japan when it comes to pop idols, right?

Wrong. To prove it, here's 9 carefully selected and trained shining performers, who debuted in 2007. In Korean they are So Nyuh Shi Dae, in English they go by the name Girls' Generation. In Japan they are known as Shojo jidai and to fans they are SoShi. Their career has followed the Japanese way exactly, including roles in tv-dramas, their own tv-show, touring, subgroups and jealously keeping their personal lives a secret. The outcome has been a perfect success story.

The generation of 1989

Their name origins from one of their first singles, Girls' Generation (So nyuh shi dae, in Korean), that was originally a hit by Lee Seung Chul. The original song was more rock'n'roll, but composer Kenzie turned it into a disco cover for SNSD.

According to an old joke, the difference between jpop and kpop is about 20cm. A more suitable comparison would be 6 years, since the members of SNSD were not 13-year-old rookies when they debuted.

6 out of 9 girls from SNSD, Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon and Yuri, were born in 1989, the same year Lee Seung Chul recorded his hit song. Sooyoung and Yoona were born a year later and the baby of the group, Seohyun, was born 1991. Though Taeyeon is the leader, the lastborn Seohyun is considered to be the real mother figure of the group.

In 2008 the singing and dancing group's second single Kissing You made it to number one on the charts. SNSD toured around Asia, all the way to Thailand and Taiwan, with other artist of the same company (BoA, TVXQ, Super Junior). During the brake that followed, Yoona starred in the tv-drama Cinderella Man and was awarded newcomer of the year for her performance. Jessica, Tiffany and Seohyun recorded a new single, Bad Oppa.

The Otakus go crazy

The word "comeback" used to describe a band's return to the spotlight after years and years of silence. Today every artist that has had a three-month brake seems to be making "a comeback". SNSD has announced a comeback two, if not three times in just two years. The more notable one occurred in January 2009. It was the beginning of a very successful chain of events, during which SNSD broke all the previous records on the South Korean charts, achieved worldwide fame and became an Internet phenomenon. Gee, the catchiest, most unbearable pop tune in the world was released. Behold these incredibly expressive lyrics:

Oh so so pretty, Your heart is so pretty

I was captured from first glance, caught so closely

Gee gee gee gee baby baby baby
Gee gee gee gee baby baby baby

Pop-lyrics never won the Nobel prize, but had the song been recorded in Japan, would someone like Yasushi Akimoto have made the lyrics a little wittier and raised them to another level, just like Seifuku ga jama wo suru.
If kpop falls behind lyrically, it's definitely way ahead musically. The leader of Japanese disco-pop, AvexTraxin, has for years been trying to put too much into one song and it just doesn't work right. Around the time of Ayumi Hamasaki's third album, Avex's mainstream jpop turned into nonsense, and not even into musical nonsense. This is where Koreans differ. They are able to pick a theme and repeat it with a different arrangement. In Japan, pop has been turned into a much more complex and polished thing than it actually is.

Gee stayed number one on the KBS Music Bank -countdown for a record nine weeks, awoke male attention worldwide with the choreography, and inspired many parodies and covers especially among the Korean boy bands and comedians. In western countries Gee became an otaku-hit comparable only to Levan polkka. And it didn't even require any scallion. Shorts and sneakers were enough.

Original tv-show

SNSD was only missing their own tv-show and it was surprisingly original. Horror Movie Factory was a hidden camera show where one member at a time the girls were surrounded by paranormal events, all carefully scripted and enacted. The best scenes had reality and setups blended in a very distracting way. Unfortunately, after only three episodes, the show faded into a typical entertainment program. A hidden camera in the haunted house was replaced with limbo in a bright light studio. The light does show their pretty legs a bit better, but nonetheless?

Artists grow up and idols pass. In just a few years these Korean little sisters have had to come up with a way to go from cheery girlishness to the role of a more mature woman. The leader Taeyeon said in an interview that the girls see their first album as "the good old times".
But what if SNSD weren't singers? Taeyeon is a radio DJ and dreams of becoming a presenter. Sooyoung would like to continue her career as an actress. Hyoyeon and Jessica are into fashion with dreams of becoming designers. Seohyun wants to become a voice actor. Yoona's ambition is to cook, even though she says she blows at it. Sunny thinks she could make an excellent businesswoman. And Tiffany and Yuri would be singers even if they died doing it.

SNSD is produced to the max and everything is spot on. However, the girls tend to be insecure on stage. Gee is not their best performance. Their best one yet was seen on KBS Music Bank on November 16th 2007. SNSD came out to perform their song Girls' Generation. In the beginning of the second verse, Lee Seung Chul joined the girls on stage with his guitar. Everyone danced exactly to the beat and choreography, Seohyun didn't rush her steps, Hyoyeon got a real kiss from Sunny, and the audience went crazy. Stripy socks, shirts four sizes too big, cute overload, unbearable pop-tunes, perfection.

There you have it! Thanks for reading!

Edited by _katri, 22 June 2010 - 12:07 PM.

Posted Image

HYOYEON IS MY SUNSHINE! HyoSun HyoRi Girls' Generation

Numbah1Fan Numbah1Fan
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1473 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:54 AM

Japan vs Korea in pop music! I guess SNSD has the title righit now. I wonder who will dethrone them?

no one lol

[edit]

Crap had to edit...thanks for translating it!

Edited by Numbah1Fan, 22 November 2009 - 03:55 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Credits to Ajae2600 for my sig~

Atriyo Atriyo
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:01 AM

ow...

kind a hear that..

well anyway tnx for the post..

Very unique sense of humor.......

SNSD fighting!! :character0264:
:yuri: :hyoyeon: :seohyun: :tiffany: :jessica: :taeyeon: :yoona: :sunny: :sooyoung:

weeee

love you all
Posted Image

Noyzel Noyzel
  • Rookies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Do u have bigger Finnish version of this article? Cos I understand Finnish better than English xD And it's good to know I'm not the only Finn at this forum =D

pingshidae pingshidae
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

wow.. they are really everywhere. conquering even europe!=)

and this line~~~ "And Tiffany and Yuri would be singers even if they died doing it."
lol is so funny! tiffany fighting!!!

Posted Image

♫ I don't care how, keudaereul saranghanikka..
I'm your girl, I'm your peach...
Keudaeyeo isungan naegero wayo ♫

taeman taeman
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

wow, i wanna buy one if only i can understand it. lol :)) they're everywhere now! congratulations So Nyuh Shi Dae!

Posted Image
クセになるわ || It's becoming an addiction
Beautiful Goodbye -- A TaeNyHeeSica Fanfic.

sbladerz sbladerz
  • Donors
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

i guess whoever wrote this piece of article might not know snsd enough.
if you want to introduce a new idol group to a new area, it is best to let the fans do it.

but anyway, congrats to the girls for making it again. reaching out to the hearts of fans everywhere.
Posted Image

Waltzforest Waltzforest
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:06 AM

Oh yeah.. SNSD made it to some finnish magazine..
I hope it appears on Singapore magazine too..

Too bad their popularity in Singapore is neither here nor there..
I'll continue to spazz in Singapore to get their popularity up!! :)
Posted Image

My Love!!

SY24 SY24
  • Donors
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:07 AM

Wow..thanks for the translations! It's nice to see the girls are being recognized else where & just not in Asia.
Can't believe this was only a couple of months ago. Now the girls have had their Hello Baby TV show & have finished that & now are looking towards their Asia concert tour. Looks like their little dream of conquering Asia is already starting =)

Posted Image

Ra7niedae Ra7niedae
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:10 AM

love this =) snsd totally roxs, even when commented by foreign magazines. soon they will become a world sensation. just like M.J or britney spears. YEA!!!!! maybe they will have their own monument.

then they will come singapore to perform =)

Posted Image

ain91 ain91
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:13 AM

wow....korean entertainment is really famous eh??they also known in Finland?!huhu...

hope to see a lot more fans from finland =)

thanks for translated this yea...

snsd jjang!!!

i love SNSD...i love SOSHIFIED
Posted Image
my twitter~credits to SteFa & s2_paperheart

Twilight_Frontier Twilight_Frontier
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:14 AM

Haha, the article's content really is a bit weird, even though there's only positive stuff about our girls.

Hmm, actually I could call myself a bit of a Soshi otaku lol

Soshi is conquering the world !!! >w<
My fanfic: Remnants of the Hidden World

An anime inspired tale of magic, technology and rebirth.

TenCents TenCents
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:15 AM

The girls are getting more fame even from Finland and Japan, that's nice to hear.
Must have took you some time to translate these, thanks!
Enjoyed reading about it, now I'll go search for the KBS Music Bank on November 16th 2007 which Lee Seung Chul joined them on stage hoho.

Edited by TenCents, 22 November 2009 - 04:15 AM.

Posted Image
RILA RILA RILA KUMAAAAAAA
My Youtube Profile

SoShiJjangJjang SoShiJjangJjang
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:16 AM

Thx for translating this article. :)
Feel happy for them to be in Finnish magazine.
Hope SNSD will be in Singapore magazine soon too *Hope*. :D
SNSD FIGHTING!!!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

As a fanytastics member, I promise to love and cherish all that is pink,
To remain secretive with all my dancing mistakes,
To outshine others with my aegyo and smiling eyes,
And to do everything I can to spread the word about our Brighter than Gems Fany Fany Tiffany!!! <3

Vow Credit to: kawaiimika
Avatar, Pic and Gifs Credit to:ajae2600

Valim Valim
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1301 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:19 AM

Thank you for translating ;DD

20 words 20 words 20 words 20 words 20 words 20 words 20 words 20 words 20 words 20 words 20 words 20 words

Posted Image

crusoe125 crusoe125
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2668 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:20 AM

gosh! our girls is indeed conquering the world now, even finnish knew them already!LOl.
gee is really such a phenomenon song that even mama can't award it!haha
anyway, love the article! kpop jjang!!!
snsd jjang!!!

Posted Image

kabr88 kabr88
  • Soshified
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:23 AM

read this 3 times.. but i juz realised...

SNSD in Jpop magz?? LOL...

juz glad these girls are well known all over the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Picture Credits :NDee365

:heart: JeTaeNy :heart:

napalm napalm
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:28 AM

Thank you for translating this! It was an enjoyable read and it's nice to hear just how much of the world the girls conquered :P

SNSD in a jpop magazine? Win for sure (:

Sunshiner For Life

Posted Image

Specially made for Napalm :P

SunTaeNy <3

avatar & sig credit to ajae2600 @ ssf

xefinne xefinne
  • Soshified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1037 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:30 AM

lol, your sizes are awful! xD
but its good to hear our girls are famous all over the world, i guess taeng's dream is coming true~ woot!
"we wanna take over asia~' xD
aniwayz, thanks for the news~ *bows*

Enos_09 Enos_09
  • Soshified
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:44 AM

Woa even finland ,rather unexpected tho.Really hope snsd will come out with another album (preferably hooksong) so i can get hook from head to toes ^^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Sbox

@  cinderella@y... (01:34:00 AM) what is that bot doing zzz
@  cinderella@y... (04:52:29 PM) bot zzzzz
@  Keitaro88 (04:44:35 PM) bots*
@  Keitaro88 (04:44:31 PM) bot r crazy
@  Keitaro88 (04:44:26 PM) yeah
@  alice_ot12 (04:00:43 PM) i hate the ad spam
@  Keitaro88 (11:09:19 AM) >_> https://pbs.twimg.co...jpg&name=medium
@  kidrobot (09:44:59 PM) reeses eggs
@  bunnybelle (08:48:20 AM) <3